How to Sew a Slip Pocket for Your Bag
You can't create a bag without pockets!
The slip pocket is easy to sew and is so handy for your smart phone, pens, cards and glasses etc.
To design your own slip pocket, first consider what you need to put into the pocket, then calculate the measurements for the pocket.
Let's get started :
- For a large single pocket, cut an 8 inch wide x 12 inch high cotton fabric in rectangular shape.
- Fold the pocket piece in half with right sides facing, press and draw a line around the edge, use a ½ inch seam allowance.
- Sew around the pocket piece, leaving a 3 inch unstitched along the top edge for turning. Trim the corners.
- Turn the pocket right side out, and use a sharp tool to carefully push the corners out. Fold the raw edges of the opening to the inside, and press the pocket.
- Top stitch the top edge 1/8 inch from the edge, backtacking at both ends. Now, the folded-in edges will be secured in the topstitching.
- Slip pocket is sewn to the bag interior and I like to sew it about 3 - 4 inch from the top edge of the bag, it allows me quick and easy to grab some items. Centre the pocket on the interior, make sure it’s straight, pin around pocket. Leaving 1/8 inch from the edge, topstitch the pocket in place – down one side, across the bottom, and up the other side, backtacking at both ends.
- Now, a 7 inch wide single slip pocket is created.
Creating a slip pocket with sections is also easy.
The slip pocket with sections really add the functionality of your bag, which allows you to custom design a pocket to suit your own personal requirements.
- Before stitching the pocket to the bag interior, using a fabric marking pen or uni-ball pen mark the sections you needed on the upper side of the pocket.
- Topstitch the sections along the marked lines, backtacking in the starting points, then sew down both sides and the along the bottom close to the edges.
- Now, you have a perfect slip pocket with sections, customised for yourself.
Thank you so much for visiting supply4bag.com, if you liked this free tutorial, will you please share it with your friends? I would also love to hear from you in the comments below if you plan on sewing along with me.
SUPPLY4BAG aims to inspire bag crafters with different levels of creativity and skills through offering quality bag frames / hardwares and bag making tutorials/patterns, we hope you enjoy making bags as much as we do.
Would you like to show your talents and share your projects with us?
Simply use the #JUST4BAG & follow us @SUPPLY4BAG on Instagram to share your handmade projects and join our Monthly Lucky Draw, don't wait!
- ALLEN Y