Having a wristlet strap on your clutch bag gives you something to grab onto and offers a bit of added security so you have less chance of losing your clutch bag while you’re out.
Adding a detachable strap to framed clutch is easy to do using a simple swivel hook, plus the metal hardware always adds a professional look to your clutch bag.
- One piece of pattern fabric 3 x 16 inch, this will give you a finished strap of 3/4 inch wide by 7 1/2 inch long. ( You can adjust these measurements as needed )
- One 3/4 inch swivel hook
1) Cut a piece of patterned fabric for bag strap, it is 3 inch wide x 16 inch long, that will give your strap 3/4 inch wide, and fit the ring of swivel hook.
2) Fold the bag strap in half lengthwise, with the wrong sides together, and press to make a crease.
3) Open the strap with the wrong side facing you, fold in each side of the strap 3/4 inch, and press.
4) Fold in half again along the first crease, and press.
5) Fold entire strap in half once again, meeting folded edges together and press. Now the strap is folded with four layers of fabric, you won’t need interfacing and it makes a nice sturdy strap.
6) Take the strap and slide a swivel hook on it, fold in half.
7) Open out the ends of the strap and with right sides together, align them and draw a line in the edge, using a 1⁄4 inch seam allowance
8) Sew the two ends together, and press the seam open.
9) Refold the strap, topstitch along open edge, moving the swivel hook out of the way as you go, going all the way around the loop.
10) Repeat this on the other side, topstitching the folded edge.
11) Position your seam over swivel hook, fold the strap in half. Topstitch across the strap about 1/2 inch from swivel hook to keep it from sliding around.
Easy Peasy, that's it for your wristlet strap.
Here's a look of the wristlet strap on the framed clutch :