The gussets will keep your essentials safe when the minaudiere is opened, and it will make your minaudiere very tidy and stunning!
In this blog, I will share a tutorial on how to add a gusset and bottom edge cover for the rectangle shape clamshell minaudiere in right angle.
1. Download the Minaudiere Gusset Pattern PDF file ( Click HERE to download ), then print out the pattern on the A4 paper at 100% print scale, and cut out shape.
2. Open the frame in V-shape, and place it onto the pattern as below picture.
- The frame bottom edge should align at the bottom line of the pattern.
- Both sides of the frame should align at the V shape dotted line of the pattern.
3. Mark the horizontal dotted line with the frame top edges, then remove the frame and fold the pattern along the horizontal dotted line.
(Note: the horizontal line will be different in other frame)
4. Now, you have created the gusset pattern in an upside down triangle shape.
CUTTING THE GUSSETS PIECES
1. Trace the gusset pattern on the fabric and mark a symmetrical shape as below.
2. Cut two pieces for the both sides of the frame.
SEWING THE GUSSETS
1. Fold under and iron the gusset bottom edge seams ¾ inch (1.5 cm) to the wrong side. Repeat with the other gusset piece.
2. Fold the gusset fabric in half to match the edges, and iron it.
3. Stitch the top and bottom of the folded gussets, ¼ inch from the edges.
4. Place the gusset piece into the open frame, trim off the excessive fabric if needed.
5. Repeat with the other gusset piece, and stitch the both sides, ¼ inch from the edges.
GLUE THE GUSSETS INTO THE FRAME
1. Working with one side of the frame at a time, apply glue to the inner side of the channels, then let the glue dry for about 3 - 5 minutes. Toothpick is very helpful to spread the glue in the frame channel.
2. Put one side of the gusset piece into the frame channel, make sure to press firmly against the inner channel to make enough room for the plastic covers to fit in later.
3. Repeat with another gusset piece.
4. Glue another side of the gussets onto the frame channel.
5. Use the flat-head screwdriver to work the way around.
GLUE THE BOTTOM EDGE COVER TO THE FRAME (OPTIONAL)
To cover the metal on the bottom of the frame, you need to cover the inner frame bottom edge lip only.
1. Measure the bottom edge inner frame lip, cut one piece of rectangle shape fabric.
2. Fold and iron both short edges, 3/8 inch to the wrong side. Stitch along both folds 1/8 inch from the edge.
3. Apply glue to the bottom channel of the frame, then glue long side of the fabric onto the bottom channel.
4. Glue another side of the fabric onto the frame channel. Use the flat- head screwdriver to work the way around. Press firmly against the inner channel to make enough room for the plastic covers to fit in later,
5. Finished clutch gussets and bottom cover.
Gussets Making for Curved Shape Frame
After topstitch around the edges of the gusset, notch the both sides. Make it easy to glue into the curved shape frame channel.
How to make the gussets for curved shape frame | LEARN MORE +
The finished Clamshell Minaudiere
Good to know:
The gussets and bottom edge frame cover needs to be added to the clutch frame BEFORE adding the plastic covers to the frame :)